||Faith formation, religious education and catechesis are all terms that describe efforts to teach the Catholic faith in ways that draw all people closer to Jesus and deepen their participation in His Church. Parishes and missions throughout southern and central Indiana strive to provide comprehensive, womb-to-tomb catechetical programs.
Parish-based faith formation programs:
- serve over 20,000 parishioners each year;
- serve about 12,000 students in pre-school - grade 8 catechetical programs taught by nearly 2,000 catechists;
- prepare youth for Confirmation;
- are coordinated by nearly 150 paid and volunteer parish administrators of religious education;
- are staffed by over 2,000 dedicated volunteer catechists, the majority of whom are certified or working towards certification and who provide ongoing faith formation for persons of all ages;
- include over 100 parishes with adult education programs serving nearly 15,000 adults;
- include over one-half of all parishes that serve students with special needs via specialized approaches like SPRED groups.
The Archdiocesan Director of Catechesis and staff collaborate with parish administrators of religious education as well as other catechetical leaders (youth ministers, principals, campus ministers and others) in ensuring that the key components of various faith formation efforts are in place within each ministry. This entails addressing several basic questions with corresponding resources:
- What am I supposed to teach? (Archdiocesan Catechetical Curriculum Guidelines: Curriculum Guideline List and 2011 Addendum to the Archdiocesan Religion Curriculum Guide);
- What resources should I use to teach? (list of books in conformity with the Catechism of the Catholic Church);
- How do I know if I’m teaching well? (ACRE assessment tool);
- How can I grow as a catechist? (Catechist Formation and Certification processes).
Under the guidance of their pastors, the catechetical leaders (parish administrators of religious education, youth ministers and principals) are the key to successful programs. The Office of Catholic Education (OCE) also assists pastors in filling catechetical leadership positions and continues enhancing faith formation throughout the archdiocese, bringing God's timeless truths to our 21st Century culture.
Ken Ogorek, Director of Catechesis
Office of Catholic Education
1400 N. Meridian Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202-2367
Toll Free: 800-302-9836, ext. 1446